The Academy Awards on Sunday night marked the finale of “Awards Season,” as they call it here in Hollywood. The red carpets have been walked, The Golden Globes, Grammys, SAGs and Oscars have officially been divvied, and the after parties have most definitely been crashed.
Since the dawn of the motion picture era, Hollywood has always had a strange fascination with firearms. As the legendary film director Jean Luc Godard famously said, “All you need for a film is a girl and a gun.” We at Girl’s Guide absolutely agree.
Of course, just like most things that come out of Lalaland, as we locals affectionately call it, Hollywood’s perception and representation of guns is at best, a little skewed. Most firearms owners, for example, don’t know how to “bend a bullet” quite like Angelina Jolie and James McAvoy. And the last time I checked, no one really shoots laser guns a la Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford. Still, audiences all over the world can’t help but line up to see the next incarnation of filmic firearms.
Since Hollywood loves to celebrate itself (and oh how we love to watch), let’s jump on that bandwagon, shall we? Here’s a look my Top 10 list of the most glamorous gun moments in movie history.
10) Thelma and Louise – Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis star in this, the quintessential “girl and a gun movie.” Sad ending, but a super fun ride. Not to mention the three magic words: Brad Pitt cameo.
9) Charlie’s Angels Full Throttle – Demi Moore. Dual Desert Eagles. Done.
8 ) You may think I’m crazy about this one, but the fact that somehow Sigourney Weaver managed to fight off oozing creatures from space and do it with an undeniable gritty glamor is pretty impressive. Alien from 1979 definitely makes the list.
7) The Matrix- After watching this film, who among us didn’t want to be Trinity?
6) True Grit – Hailee Steinfeld kept it super duper classy in this Cohen Bros remake. And wasn’t she just adorable at the Oscars? Can’t wait to see more from this little starlet.
5) Termiator 1 & 2 – Linda Hamilton as Sarah Conner. Again, a gritty but totally fantastic leading lady. And can someone please find me her trainer’s phone number?
4) Bonnie and Clyde – Faye Dunaway is cool and totally glam in this 1967 film.
3) Wanted – Angelina Jolie does it again.
2 ) Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back – Carrie Fisher is a legendary icon in this film. You know you’re doing something right if you can make millions of girls everywhere wear buns over their ears. Hats off to you, sister.
1) As time goes by, Casablanca continues to be, in my humble opinion, the greatest movie ever. It just doesn’t get any classier than the gorgeous screen siren, Ingrid Bergman. Bonus: though it technically only shows up in one scene, she knows how to use that revolver. Better look out, all you Nazi bad guys!
Those are the Top 10 on my list. Did I miss one? Leave me your thoughts in the comments below.